Now that JK Rowling’s Harry Potter has finally made it to Audible, I’m re-enjoying the great performance by Jim Dale.
This has ignited a few thoughts about alternate Harry Potter realities/stories that would be incredibly interesting books if a single plot point was changed.
- The Sorting Hat puts Harry in Slytherin in spite of his request
- Harry is brought up in an orphanage (rather than the Dursley’s) and has non-magical friends
- Use of magic has a cost (energy, or some other limit) so its use has to be rationed and planned
- Change Harry to a female protagonist
- Quidditch has legitimate scoring rules =)